Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bajram serif mubarek olsun! - Easily translated to - Happy Bajram!


Today is the Islamic holiday Eid or like we say in Bosnian, Bajram. It means that I got gifts from my boyfriend this morning but it also means a few other things, you know linked to religion. In short we celebrate it in order to commemorate the  willingness of Abraham or like spelled and said in Islam Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ishmael (Isma'il) as an act of obedience to God or as you all know from the media right now Allah. For this holiday meat from different animals (not the pig, Haha) is divided into three parts to be distributed to others. The family retains one third of the share, another third is given to relatives, friends and neighbors, and the other third is given to the poor & needy. Now, Muslims in the western world and other parts of the world do not go out and slaughter farmers sheep’s and cows for this holiday, instead we give money to charity or to someone we know is in need.  For the rest we spend time with our family and our close friends during this day.

Here comes the part where I feel completely left out and lonely, imagine being alone on Christmas? This is how it feels for me here in the Netherlands since my family is back in Sweden all hanging out together. I can sometimes get really annoyed that people expect me to celebrate Christmas with them, which I don’t mind but shouldn’t my holidays be respected and known about then or is that too much to ask? I’m not talking about people at school knowing or people in general just the ones that invite me for Christmas every year, I feel a bit sad and left out twice a year when my holidays which I have celebrated all my life seems to not matter at all, not even at a personal level when concerning me.

No comments:

Post a Comment